Monday, March 29, 2010

Blog Entry #5

I've recently had a major revelation in regards to life in general. As a senior, I face the problems that almost all the others out there seem to claim, a disease known as senioritis. At the same time, as a senior, people constantly ask me "Where do you plan on attending college next year?" and I politely answer, "Well... I'm not really sure yet." It scares me to death that I do not know my plan for my future, but I have also realized my senioritis is a result of my indecisiveness. I have concluded that it is extremely hard for me to work to my full potential when I struggle to know exactly what my goals in life are, and what my future plans are. Without a goal in mind for next year, I find it hard to complete the multitude of papers and tests that my teachers insist on continuing despite the upcoming Spring Break. This same concept applies to my internship, and life in general.
In the first part of my internship at Cargill, I felt useless and as though I had no purpose within the company. This once again demonstrated my lack of goal, and I felt as though I had no reason to spend hours at the plant. However, I approached my mentor and asked for a more meaningful assignment, in order to get a better understanding of the work of a chemical engineer. He ended up assigning me a project which not only tested my knowledge and capabilities in the field of chemistry, but will in fact be used by the company! It thrills me to think of the possibility of completing such a task, and it has given me a goal for the future of my internship! This goal has given me the motivation to work hard and diligently, just as deciding on a college will help me to perservere well into the day of graduation!
Therefore, I truly think it is important that we as individuals set goals for ourselves. Goals help to motivate and help to keep us focused on the prize.
In regards to my final project, I want to present the information that I am currently working on for Cargill. I am trying to find the most efficient way to process crude oil, testing different molarities of phosphoric acid, the solution which cargill choses to use to separate impurities from the oil. This covers my interest in chemistry and I think the best way to present this information would be a science board, but I also wanted to do a second part to my final project. It is completely different, but as I have a great interest in food research, I was debating on making a recipe-makeover cookbook based on my hopefully upcoming hours spent at Two Dog and further food research. This could help me to gain knowledge on the health benefits of certain foods and how foods combine with others, allowing me to chose the optimum spices and ingredients.

3 comments:

  1. I am most proud of your honesty and how you were pro active in seeking more opportunity at Cargill. I remember (vaguely) that horrible feeling of 'senioritis'-sense of impending 'doom' that I am about to move on to another chapter in life-and I haven't a clue as to what I am supposed to be doing...completely unsure of my abilities to handle the next step and if I even WANTED to proceed with the plans. It has taken me my lifetime to finally hone in on what I think I should be doing with my life-terrible sense of not being able to live up to lofty expectations. All I can share about those doubts and uncertainties is to acknowledge that we are all paupers at the door of God's mercy and that God can make something beautiful out of us. "Surely God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation." Isaiah 12:2




    One last thought-I recall this line that Christopher Robin shared with Pooh, " Promise me you'll always remember-You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate those quotes Mrs. Mellette. They really do seem to fit the situation. I am really happy to finally say though that I have made my college decision and put a goal in sight! Just call me a dawg :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I call you special and want you to know you will do great at UGA (Ms. K is going to love that)! I look back now at all of the energy I spent over school and wish I had just gotten things in perspective...I also have come to believe one can be happy in just about any place/situation-

    ReplyDelete